Commercial Mommy is how my friends describe me. In fact, it's how I describe myself. A Los Angeles based actress, juggling the every day demands of co-parenting three children, who are also actors. I know that I am not alone in this circus feat! I have been successful in helping my kids create careers, remain accelerated in school and evolve into beautiful human beings. By sharing my journey, strategies and insights.....I hope to be of assistance AND inspiration to all of the other commercial mommies and daddies in the biz!

Thursday, June 2, 2011

How much can you make from a national commercial?



It’s common knowledge that my children and I make our living as commercial actors (my children also like to remind me that they have evolved me by moving into television and film), so it makes sense that I receive emails...daily, from current and former clients asking me: “How much will my son make on the commercial he booked today?”.  Let me give you the short answer:  As little as $0 as much as six figures.  
I swear I am not trying to be a smart Alec!  
The truth is that the industry has changed...in a major way!  
“Back in the day” (even 3 years ago), you could easily count on a commercial running on cable and having a healthy national network run (NBC, CBS, ABC).  Cable runs pay about $3,000 for a 13 week cycle (unlimited use), and National network pays every time the commercial airs...the first 20 runs could easily add up to $1,500-$2,000.
Fast forward to 2011. Booking a commercial means just that...
you have booked a commercial.  Nothing more, nothing less.
What I am trying to say is that we can no longer count our eggs before they hatch.  Of course, there are a few trade secrets that help increase your chance of getting your face on film, but the biggest take away is to recognize the lottery and hope to be on the winning side.  If you land in a spot that you get cut out of or downgraded (flat one-time fee), 

remember that no one can take the experience away!

No comments:

Post a Comment