Commercial Mommy is how my friends describe me. In fact, it's how I describe myself. A Los Angeles based actress, juggling the every day demands of co-parenting three children, who are also actors. I know that I am not alone in this circus feat! I have been successful in helping my kids create careers, remain accelerated in school and evolve into beautiful human beings. By sharing my journey, strategies and insights.....I hope to be of assistance AND inspiration to all of the other commercial mommies and daddies in the biz!

Saturday, September 18, 2010

It's all About the Experience....

So Yesterday I had the opportunity to Audition with my child and a friend's child for a callback. Piece of cake, right? We know each other, are comfortable together and all we had to do was have fun playing a board game. Not so easy.....The director asked us to just have fun. Then he asked all of us to throw our hands in the air at the same time. Well, one child was watching candy roll on the ground and the other was fist pumping. My audition husband was very reserved and mellow too. I'm not saying that I am the only one who followed instructions, but....well....you get the point. After we left the room, I talked to the kids about giving the director what he wants, even when it seems weird (but safe and tasteful). Who throws their hands up in the air after each roll of the dice??? NO ONE! Matters not, the director needed to see if we could follow directions. Could he tolerate us for a day? This is many times more important than our looks. I explained to both kids how it took me a long time not to "space out" while I spent my 2 minutes in the audition room. Imagine what these child actors experience: Leave school a bit early, change clothes in the car or in a small bathroom, sit in the waiting room for close to an hour, and then be thrown into the audition room with no instruction. IMAGINE if the instructions (throw our hands up simultaneously) WAS GIVEN TO US IN THE LOBBY.....higher percentage of success, no? Well, I finished by telling the kids that they did a great job and that this business is not about each job that we get or don't get, it's ABOUT THE EXPERIENCE. Listening skills are crucial for success at home, school, work, walking across the street, etc. Delivering what's asked for....crucial once more. Let's not pressure our children in these audition situations, let's help them be as prepared as possible and then prep them for a new life experience. NOTHING MORE, NOTHING LESS.

No comments:

Post a Comment